Thursday, May 12, 2011

Leap of Faith

I need to thank one of my friends, Greg West. He is a pretty smart guy that I have liked since our first meetings, and yesterday I was truly inspired by him and what he is doing. He is the leader of the small group that I am involved in, The Truth Project. He is also someone that I have found myself talking to at church, along with his wife Brooke, for several reasons. The primary reason is because they always seem to be happy and (my personal favorite word) optimistic. That makes them two people that I seek out to speak to. I find joy in my optimism, and I know that it could always be better. If you want to continue moving forward in life, be around people who have things that you want. Maybe they will rub off on you! Greg and his wife have been rubbing off on me.

This is where Greg comes in. He has a site that is awesome and I would highly recommend looking at , www.thepoachedegg.net. I found out something that I did not know about Greg. As I talked about the situation that Julie and I found ourselves talking about, Greg’s wife Brooke got a look on her face. When I inquired about her look, she gave me a big smile. She told me that Greg had taken a huge leap of faith several months ago, and told me what it was. I will not get into what his leap of faith is. That is his story. What I will tell you is that Greg put himself in a position where he had to rely on God or face some monumental struggles, and God has come through for him. It gave me the added inspiration that I needed to continue doing what I am doing, as well as renewed my faith in the people around me. I love the people that God is surrounding me with.

I did begin to ask myself whether or not there are many people in the United States who would take a huge risk. How many of us would be willing to throw down what we do? How many of us would quit our jobs to do what we feel God is leading us to do if it would place not only financial strain, but put us at risk of complete and utter financial ruin. I mean the kind where you might lose all that you have. I do not think that there are many out there who would risk this. I began to think that there might not be any. When have many of us here in America had to truly rely on God, put complete faith in Him? How many of us abroad have had to do that, would do that, if they felt that the Holy Spirit was leading them that way?

I thought it through, and the way that I saw it was that God provides when we do His will. She was quick to ask me if maybe I am doing what God wants me to do where I work currently. I will admit that I may be doing what I am supposed to. I was built from the ground up to do what I do; it has been what my past has molded me in to. The career I have now is not enough for me, I want to do more with the rest of my life. I feel that I spent so much of my life taking from society, and I want to give back. I want to be able to reach people on a grander scale than I do now. I told her that I would wait until after my book is published, but that I may not make the decision that she wants after it gets published.

So, I throw caution to the wind, and I do not think of the consequences.  My wife is just the opposite. There is a reason that she handles the money and pays the bills, I can’t. I could try, but I am generally too busy with some project to do something as important and practical as paying the bills. I am a changed man, but not a responsible one. There are definitely many reasons that I have been blessed with Julie in my life, and this is one of them. I started thinking that I could just do this full-time and money would take care of itself. My wife decided in the evening that she would remind me about bills, house and car payments, groceries, taking care of DJ, etc. and that maybe we would not have those things if I did not think it through.

When the idea first struck me and I talked to my wife about it, everything went great. She was smiling and agreed that this sounded like a great idea. As the day progressed and I began to do what I do, which is completely throw myself into everything that comes my way, there started to be a voice of reason in my ear. Yes, it was my wife’s voice. Just so you know, my wife is practical and I am very much a manic prone Bi-Polar type person. This means that on occasion I would actually agree with at least one of my mental health diagnosis.

With that said, I must tell you that Sunday when I had my epiphany there was a dichotomy that occurred between my wife and I. It did not happen right away, but it gradually developed. I was overcome by what I was to do with my life. Suddenly I knew that my purpose in life was to finish my book, then to travel and share my life’s history. To share with other’s the incredible power that the Holy Spirit has been as it has worked in me to recreate who I am so that other’s can be blessed and filled with hope and inspiration. That is what struck me on that bicycle ride as my purpose in life.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for that encouragement and vote of confidence, Brother. I am very humbled by your support and will pray that God will bless you in your ministry efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome words David! I have been struggling for months with a difficult decision & after a sleepless night wrestling with the question I found the answer!!! Your post here confirms my decision!!!!! So, you're helping people already!!!!! THANK YOU for your faithfulness!!!!!

    ReplyDelete