Sunday, May 22, 2011

As Good As It Gets- From an addict to a drunk to Christ

I guess that I was always a hard case, ever since my first fight in first grade. At least I though that I was. I have even had some people tell me since I got saved that they had always prayed for me, because I was a hard case and they saw something in me. I have no idea what that something is. I  always hoped for it all just to end. At first my lifestyle was fun. Over time it began to get worse, my depression continued to mount. I had to depend on the drugs just to survive. I could not function without them. It got bad, and then it got worse. I finally got to the point that nothing really mattered, only the high.

I often hoped for death. I tried to commit suicide once, but my sister came by. Found me passed out on the bathroom tile, surrounded by blood next to a bathtub full of bloody water. After that, I swore that I would never kill myself. That said, I would put myself in situations where I knew that I might die and always hoped that someone would kill me. I flew a car 97 feet and got 37 feet in the air, but I still survived. I have been shot at, and I have several holes in me that I was not born with. I have had more C/T Scans than I can count because of head trauma. I have relapsed three times that I know of.

Still I could not die. It got depressing. Then I hit my rock bottom, or so I thought. I got off of the drugs, moved, stopped dealing drugs and started my life over. Pretty soon I was in college. Then I had my Associates Degree, then I got a double Bachelor's. I had a beautiful son. I got my Master's Degree. I was an alcoholic. I was still fighting. I was sleeping around, cussing every other word. I lied all of the time, and I probably stole things too. But I was not doing drugs.

What I managed to do was become an alcoholic, but I could justify that because it was not drugs. It was even legal. I was miserable, and I had to drink to function. Every time that I looked into a mirror, I still saw a convict, a junkie, a drug dealer and I despised myself. I hated who I was.

I had to drink just to get through the week. I could not function on my own. I should have had a better life. Most people would say that I did, yet I could never figure out what was missing. I had started a job that was not in a restaurant. It was actually a career, yet I was miserable. I had a beautiful son who loved me, and co-workers who honestly cared about me and had a passion for what they did. I thought that life sucked.

Then one day I had a turning point. I gave my life over to Christ and overnight, everything changed for the better. I was a changed man at work, in my leisure time and in my behaviors. People took notice and would ask why I was so much happier and I could only tell them that if not for the Holy Spirit I would still be were I was. But I wasn't. I was no longer consumed with hate for myself. I could see the positive in things and no longer dwelt on the negatives. When I looked in the mirror, I actually liked who I saw. For me that was an amazing change.

The change happened for several reasons, but the most important reason is this. When I was an Agnostic and I woke up in the morning, I knew that this was AS GOOD AS IT GETS. I had nothing to look forward to. My life was terribly disappointing days followed by drunken nights. If I did not drink, I would get into my depression and isolate and feel miserable.

After I got saved, my entire outlook changed. I finally realized that I was forgiven. I could never forgive me before because I felt unforgivable. That is the smallest part of it though. The biggest thing for me is what I will end this discussion on.

I did not believe in life after death. I believed that we returned to dust, and that would be the end. I would one day die, and this sinful, hateful world would be all that I would know. When I got saved I realized that even if this life where to be completely miserable for the next 30 years, after I died if I kept my faith and walked the narrow path that I would live an eternity in bliss. That was overwhelming, and it was enough to cheer me up........finally, I can smile and it is not fake!

6 comments:

  1. David, it is so exciting to see what the saving grace of Christ has done to turn your life around. Ever since I met you and Michal I have prayed for you to come to the Lord. You are truly an inspiration to many. I am looking forward to all that God is doing to use you in ministry. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm agnostic and feel completely fulfilled. I have a spirituality that is between me and my higher power and feel closer to 'God" than I ever did as a Christian. Its frustrating to me that Christians believe to their core that there is something missing in my life and actually pity me. I am not ignorant nor mis informed. I believe that everyone has to seek what they believe. I am truly happy for you and every Christian out there because they feel close to their higher power and their faith brings them peace and happiness. I feel its disrespectful for me to tell them they are wrong JUST as disrespectful as it is to try to convert me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only speak to my experience not yours. I was miserable before. Now I am not. Hope you were not offended by my talking about my life experience, as I have never felt offended when you have talked about yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not offended, not all. Again I'm very happy for you and have seen how happy and fulfilled you have become. You are very right, its your life you are talking about. I know how many Christians read your stuff and wanted to give insight from someone who is not a Christian but still fulfilled and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have your input. Thank you very much for reading. It is good to listen to the views and beliefs of others. I was only hoping that you were not offended. My hope is to inspire and help others with my life story and the things that I say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you truly are inspiring and I appreciate you passion and goals.

    ReplyDelete