Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I Have an Enquiring Mind, I Want to Know

I recently had a conversation that was very short with an atheist. He asked why I was a theist, and I told him that after several decades of being agnostic I had realized that it would take me too much faith to be an atheist. I only had enough faith to be a Christian.

He said, "Nobody knows enough to be a theist. Atheism is default. It makes no claim to knowledge, only disbelief."

I could concede that point. If it makes no claim, that is one thing. But that was simply not enough for me. I had a thirst that had to be quenched. I had a lifestyle that I wanted to find a way out of and could not. What was the answer?

I told him that as an agnostic (and here is why the National Enquirer slogan kicked into my head) I wanted to know. I actually felt compelled to know, and that was where we were different. He said that he did not need to know how we got here to be happy. Fair enough, but I did. I needed to know how we got here. Due to that, I had to have an answer to that question, "How are we here!"

When I looked at science, there were multiple leaps of faith. For one, we had to have a Big Bang. We had to have an explosion that created structure and order? That has never been done. I have never seen an explosion build a perfectly functioning house. Therefore I could not believe in an explosion that created a much more complex universe.

Now we have to believe that something caused the Big Bang. What created the mechanism that created the Big Bang?  I think they call it the uncaused cause? Even that name was just confusing, uncaused cause. Here we have another unknown. It too calls for a lot of faith in something never observed.

The Big Bang also goes against the first law of thermodynamics, which states that you cannot create or destroy matter. Yet to have occurred, the Big Bang created something (the universe) from nothing.
Then I had to believe that non-living matter created living matter. That has never been recreated in controlled environments, let alone on it's own. So now we also have to add the spontaneous generation of living matter from nonliving matter. To believe this takes faith.

Next we have macroevolution. That is the changing of one species to another. Think two cats mate and produce a dog. That has also never been done. We have microevolution which happens all of the time. That is adaptation, and it is seen. Micro I could believe, macro took faith.

I will end this with irreducible complexity. We have discovered "micromachines" in the human body that are irreducibly complex. This means that they need all of their parts to function, and if even one part is taken from them then they no longer work. We have to believe either that they spontaneously generated or that they where kept by a species when it had no function. Once again, I need faith in order to believe this.

I could go on and on about the things I need to have faith in, but I will not. There is the complexity of a cell, the coding of DNA much more complex than the best man made computer, the law of entrophy, etc. I will suffice in saying that I did not have enough faith to believe in evolution and the Big Bang.

For me to have faith in Christianity all that I had to believe in was an eternal God. That is all! I only need have faith in one thing and all other things are possible based on my belief in Him. If He is eternal, all powerful and all knowing than that answers every question. How are we here, why are we are, what happens after we die? Those are all answered through belief in Him.

Combine that with what I do know. I know that I spent 23 years in addiction, trying everything: rehabs, psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors, 12 step programs, medication, probation, house arrest, prison, overdosing and being brought back to life and even suicide to try to quit. Nothing worked. I tried prayer one night and I have not used since. It has been almost 3 years now, and I have not had a relapse. That is all of the proof that I need!!

2 comments:

  1. Your journey sounds so much like my own. I, too, had grown so disenfranchised with the world and all the explanations I had supposed or been given for it - and my debilitating depression - that I had turned my life over to drugs and the eventual end they would bring. Not being particularly patient, I attempted suicide several times in my teens and twenties, with the final try leaving me flatlined in the back of an ambulance and then comatose for days in ICU. When I awoke after an Episcopal priest prayed over me as I was dying, it took me months to begrudgingly realize that the only reason for my revival was God's work. Even more begrudgingly, I entered a Christian rehab facility, which was a miracle in and of itself as my family always believed we were too smart for all that small-minded Christian nonsense. I died on 12/4/01 and about 8 months later became a Christian. (I had to do a lot of research and soul-searching.) Turning my life over to God was the best thing I ever did and I am not ashamed to tell my story to anyone because while it is difficult, it is ultimately one of hope. Thank you for sharing yours for us thinkers out there, and may your walk in faith be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment that you only have enough faith to be a Christian resonates with me. Until I wrote my faith-inspired book exploring the scientific evidence supporting an intelligent design in our world and at work in our lives, I had never thought much about let alone researched the logic behind belief. The first time I read an article pointing out atheism requires a significant faith of its own was an epiphany; your perspective just takes me one step further on that realization. Thank you for sharing your view.

    ReplyDelete