Monday, May 19, 2014

Streamlining!

I had an opportunity to meet with one of my mentors. As always, it was a great experience and I left with a lot more information in my head than I came in with.  I was given some really important feedback for some of the issues I needed advice on. I also was given a nugget that I have really thought on since Friday. It was something that I needed to hear, and that will actually allow me to free up some time from an extremely busy schedule.

I don’t have to change the entire world.

I do want to create change in the entire world, but I don’t have to change everything that I dislike or disagree with in order to do that. I have learned a magic word this year, delegate. It has allowed me to get out and work on getting bigger and better things accomplished. I will touch on it more later. For now, just know that delegation is great but not if you still try to overwhelm yourself.  

I have written blogs about everything from the secularization of the church to the pro-life/pro-choice debate to why Michael Jordan is better than both Kobe and LeBron (read it, because I am absolutely right and the statistics back me up). I have tried to take on too many current issues, and because of that what I have been called to do is not being done effectively. That is what I was reminded of. I am here to build bridges, not destroy them.

I know what my purpose is. I was created from the ground up to do it. I am driven to deal hope and decimate stigma that exists towards and within those who struggle with addictions and mental health issues. Others have different callings. Although they may have very strong opinions about addiction, recovery, depression, anxiety, etc they would not be nearly as effective at is as I am. The same goes for other aspects that I feel strongly about. I am not nearly as effective and eloquent as they would be. Why should I be? It is not my gig.

I need to stick to what I am best at, which is addiction and recovery. I need to dedicate my time to working on what God put me here to do, and I have not been focusing on that like I should be. I have been 100 pages into my book for over 2 years and have not gotten any further. Just this year I have really gotten traction with events. The reason it has taken this long is because I have strayed from my focus.

I am in recovery thanks to Christ!

Period!

End of discussion!

Why would I waste time talking about anything else, when there are so many who are struggling with addiction currently? When there are so many who are taking their own lives because they are hopeless and can’t find a way out of their current ruts, why would I tackle something I am not an expert on? I am an expert on recovery. I am an expert on what the power of the Holy Spirit can do in the life of someone who has reached the end of their rope.

I am an expert!

God and I wrote this story together, not to be squirreled away where no one can hear about it, but to be shouted from the rooftops. When I put my passion somewhere else part of my message is lost. If I burn a bridge, it will not take too long before I am completely encapsulated. I will be blocked from reaching the people I need to because I have used my expertise in arenas that I don’t have the needed education and the drive to change and it comes off as unprofessional and unnecessary. This is what I was reminded of when I met with my mentor.

I have a calling!

I am necessary!

I am needed to make a difference in the world of recovery. I am still alive after dying more times than I can count on one hand because God needed me to do His work. He has given me a message of hope to share. I am grateful to still be here, and the grace that has saved me and the Holy Spirit that has changed me is there for the asking. If my voice is not loud and constant, how will people know to ask?  

So if you or someone you love needs help, ask! I am here to help. I am here to share recovery! If you have an outlet I can do this at: conferences, churches, Celebrate Recovery groups, colleges, schools, communities, rehabs, etc. let me know. I love to share about the power of recovery!

People have even told me I am good at it.

No really, I have references!

No comments:

Post a Comment