Friday, July 27, 2012

Chick-fil-A, GLAAD and Chicago......Oh My!!!

So I have been seeing all of the stuff about Chick-fil-A's owner, Dan Cathy, saying that he believes that marriage is between a man and a women and does not support gay marriage. He supports the traditional marriage of a man and a women. I am told that this is hate speech, but that puzzles me. He does not stop gay couples from eating at his restaurant. He does not stand at the door and shout slurs at gays and lesbians. He does not support what they do and he stands for something else. I do not hear hate in what he says.

Let me give you several examples from my life where I do not support something, if fact I speak out against them, and tell me if what I describe is hate:

I cannot stand drugs. I feel that there is nothing more evil than addiction. I see what it does to people's lives. I have made my life a crusade against addictions, from drugs to alcohol to cutting to eating disorders. I want to educate parents, youth, young adults, churches and communities about the dangers of addiction and the power of recovery. I am 100% against addictions. Although it has been scientifically proven that people are born genetically predisposed to it, which means they are born that way, I am still against it. I am employed fighting addiction, I am starting a non-profit to combat addiction and I spend most of my free time, money and energy in that same arena. I am anti-addiction!

I will do all that I can to fight life consuming issues and get others to join in my fight against them. Does this mean that I hate addicts, alcoholics, the mentally ill, bulimics, anorexics, convicts, etc.? Absolutely not!! I love them, although I don't agree with how they are living their lives. Due to this, I encourage them to live their lives differently. If they stay in addiction, I will never stop caring about and praying for them. To some people I guess that is hate. To me, it is caring and compassion.

Next thing I am against is obesity. I do not support obesity, although I am obese. I am trying to lose weight and want to see the body fat melt off. I can't stand it. That said, I don't hate obese people. I encourage them in their struggles, because I know how unhealthy it can be to live your life that way. But, I am against obesity and wish that all people had healthy body fat percentages. So now, all people who are obese should boycott my blog, right? I guess if you use the logic of Chicago, Boston, San Fransisco, the Muppets and Ed Helms.

Next you throw in Chicago trying to say no Chick-fil-A's in our city!! Chicago has one of the worst gang problems in the United States. Their homicide rate was up 40% from last year and they are worried about Chick-fil-A? Boston is in the bottom 11% of cities when it comes to the crime rate, yet they don't want Chick-fil-A? It seems that they have much bigger issues to deal with. How about doing more to combat gang violence?

Why do we have cities that are against Chick-fil-A, which has not killed anybody that I know of, yet they have head shops in their cities. Why are we allowing places that sell glass pipes, also known as bubbles, that are used for smoking methamphetamine and cocaine to be in business? These same places sell items that supposedly to help someone flush their system so that they can beat drug screens. They are promoting drug use!! How can you not have a problem with that? Were are your priorities at. I know where mine are!

I stand against addictions and other life consuming, life controlling, life robbing issues. I do not care if you are 12 or 80, black or white, straight or gay! I want to educate you on the dangers of using drugs. Through Better Life in Recovery I will use real people with real problems to share hope and recovery so that we can work on combating addiction. If you want to join, volunteer, share your story or donate to the cause let me know. If not, if you support addiction, if you are active in your addiction just know that I can't stand it. I hate it, but I love you and will try my best to help you!

No comments:

Post a Comment