Monday, January 30, 2012

Thank God for Rap

I know that for a lot of traditional Christians, rap is synonymous with everything evil. When I say rap the first thing that you think of is beats overlaid with lyrics about sex, drugs, violence and gangs. At one time I would have agreed with you. In my addiction, that is why I listened to rap. I could relate to what I was listening to. I lived as a drug dealer and a soldier of Satan.

I would listen to gangster rap and heavy metal. That was what I fed myself, and as the saying goes "Garbage In Garbage Out."I was always angry and violent. There was no pleasing me, I was one of the most unhappy people that you would meet, unless I was jacked up on meth (which was all of the time). Then I was pretty happy unless I had been up for several days, which happened every week. For years I stayed up for six days and slept on Sundays. The music contributed to my mood, and I listened to music I could relate to.

THINGS CHANGE!!

Today at the gym I listened to rap once again. I listened to LeCrae, who has songs entitled "Jesus Muzik" and "Prayin for You." I also had Tedashii "I'm a Believer" and Trip Lee "Cash or Christ" playing on my IPhone. Those are a couple of the song titles that I listened to this morning as I worked out. I bumped music that motivated me and at the same time uplifted me.

I left feeling exhausted physically and happy spiritually. I walked out of the gym uplifted and positive with what I can only call an optimistic attitude. This will translate into my having a great day at work and a great meeting after work with one of the guys working on our IT issues for Better Life in Recovery. I am excited to see how the web site is coming along, but that is another blog.

Bottom line: Rap has changed, and it has come a long way from DC Talk. It is better than the secular stuff out there for several reasons.

  1. It glorifies and promotes Jesus Christ, not the entertainer
  2. It is uplifting 
  3. It is about positive situations and choices, not dead end choices and lifestyles
  4. I would listen to it with my 4 year old and not worry about him repeating lyrics in school
  5. It is music that brings me closer to Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment