Monday, September 19, 2011

Weight loss, addiction and our Faith

I started Weight Watcher’s June 8th at 239.8 pounds. Two weeks ago before I left for a 7 day cruise I weighed 213 pounds. Last week after I got back I weighed 222.2 pounds. Today I weigh 224.4 pounds. I expected to gain 10 pounds on the cruise. I was going to let myself eat whatever I wanted. What I did not expect was to have lost control over my eating and not be able to rein it in on my return. So, today I will start a 7 day juice fast that will allow me to regain control over my eating.
I figure this will help me lose the original weight that I gained back and reset my eating habits. Then next week I can slowly reintroduce fruits and vegetables then grains and dairy and finally fish and chicken back into my diet. I went from eating really healthy to taking short cuts and eating things that were full of preservatives and artificial junk in them. It started with the microwaveable lunches that were easy, but unhealthy. Then it was the cruise, but just for one week. A week back and I am still struggling to get back to where I was.
This is a lot like our faith or our addictions. I have found that if I let just a little bit of the world in, I end up with a lot. If I compromise my ideals or morals for one thing, then I open myself up for many things. Two sayings come to mind, one is “You’ve got to stand for something or you’ll fall for anything” and the other is from AA, “One is too many and a thousand is never enough.” These both describe what I did with my eating. I compromised on what I felt was a little thing, and due to that my eating got out of control. I am working on getting back to where I was before I began if I do not get it under control.
What I did was I started Weight Watcher’s as a lifestyle change. It was not a diet, but a new way of eating for life, but then I picked up my old lifestyle again. This happens often with our faith. We begin changing the way that we live our lives, and the next thing you know you are right back where you started because of something small that you thought would not hurt. As an addict, I have often made that mistake in my life. I got off of drugs and let in alcohol, reasoning that I was not an alcoholic. Found out what NA has been saying for years was true, that “alcohol is a drug, period.” Then I stopped drinking, and comfort food became my thing. I quickly gained 50 unhealthy pounds.
As Christians or addicts, what are you allowing in your life that may be setting you up for major issues in the future? What unhealthy things are you allowing to control how you live your lives. What are you doing that is setting you up for future problems? Maybe seeing that NC-17 movie, or the R-rated movie that has strong sexual content. How about the music that you listen to? What are the themes and messages that you are subjecting your brain to? How about the company you keep? Do your morals and your actions change when you are with your friends? If so, you probably need to switch groups!
This is probably as important to you readers as it is to me. We allow so many things to control us, and there should be only one thing that serves as our master. Matthew 6:24 tells us that we cannot serve two masters. The Bible even lets us know that when we allow worldly things to have power over us, we set ourselves up for failure.  James 4:4 calls us adulterous people and says, “don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.”
So let this not be a warning, but a reminder of what you already know. Choose Christ, choose life. Our secular life and our spiritual life are not two separate things. We should always exalt Christ with all that we do, whether at church, work, a restaurant, in traffic or on a date night. We are in this world, but we do not have to live as if we are of this world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment