Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bible Readings: Joshua Chapter 1 - 5

Today I read Joshua Chapters 1-5. It discussed the tribes of Israel coming into the promised land after the death of Moses. They are now being led by Joshua. I really liked the first chapter, as it is God talking to them and telling them what they need to do. He tells them that He has given them the laws that they must follow. In Joshua 1:8, “Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.” We are to keep His laws always, and we should be careful to do what He has asked us to. This is a great example of how often we should think about God, when the Bible says to “meditate on it day and night.” There should not be a time when Christ is not in my thoughts. When Christ is out of my mind, He is also the last thing that I am thinking of. If I put God and his commandments first in all that I do, it will help me in all aspects of my life. I will be a great husband, a great father, a great worker and a better human being.

In Joshua 1:9 it states, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” This is the first time in my reading for this section entitled Bible Readings (which are me picking up the Bible and doing a random reading) that I have came across what I know I will come across many times, which is to put your trust and faith in God and He will always be there with you. He will not always answer prayers, and everything may not always make sense to us but that is how it should be. My God is all knowing and has the ability to see all time at once. He lives beyond time. Due to that He can see the ripples, where they go and what they affect and I cannot. Due to this, it will not always make sense to me what happens. I just know that my focus needs to remain on God, and to try my best to keep my chin up and keep my faith!

In Joshua 2 we are introduced to Rahab, the prostitute. As a recovering addict and criminal, I can relate to the moniker she has been given and how it has stigmatized her. Many of us know that stigma, whether it is from addiction, divorce, mental health, etc. We need to realize that when God sees us, He sees one of His creations. He does not judge us by our past, but by our present.  Rahab was not judged harshly by God, but was instead used by Him for a higher purpose. We too, no matter who we are or what we have done, can also be used for a higher purpose. Paul once killed Christians, then became one of the biggest Christian advocates there ever was. Many would have discounted the prostitute, but not truly "holy" men. Men who love God know that it is not wise to judge others, because we are only human and see the outside appearance. God can see the heart. In Hebrews 13:2 it states,  "Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.” This is something to definitely be aware of in our practices with others. How we treat others can come back and bite us in the end (no pun intended).

Then we have the crossing of the River Jordan, which is at flood stage yet miraculously dries up to allow the Israelites to cross. I had forgotten that the Jordan was crossed, much like waters were parted in the Red Sea when the Israelites left Egypt. God told them several things. To keep focused on the Ark of the Covenant, which was indicator of the presence of God. We now have the Holy Spirit, which resides in us much like the Ark of the Covenant resided among the Israelites. We should keep our focus on the Holy Spirit today! They were told to consecrate themselves first, in order to be prepared for the amazing thing God was to do for them. They were told to keep focused on the Ark and cross the Jordan and after they got across they were to put up a memorial to remember the event.

We are aked to do the same as the Israelites, but it is easier now. The Holy Spirit guides us on a daily basis. We know what we should and should not do. We must focus on where the Holy Spirit is leading us. Next, we are to consecrate ourselves, through prayer, reading, fasting, and communion. Next we are to go where God asks us to go, with no questions and no doubts. We should fully follow where the Spirit leads us. Finally, we must build our faith upon our victories and other’s victories. That is why she share testimonies in our lives, to testify and remember what God has done for and in us. This should be shared with Christians and non-Christians alike. This is done to bolster the faith of the Christian. It is also done to let everyone know that the Lord is ALL POWERFUL!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment