Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Weight Loss Wednesday Month 1

Here are my goals:
  1. Lose 5 pounds by June 1st (240)
  2. Lose 10 pounds July 1st (235)
  3. Lose 25 pounds by October 1st (220)
  4. Lose 50 pounds by May 1st (195)
  5. Walk a 5K this year (no idea about time because I have never done one)
  6. Run a 5K next year (no idea about time because I have never done one)
  7. Do the MS 150 next year
So, I  have already missed my first goal, to be down to 240 by the 1st. I weighed today and I was at 243. That means that in the last month I have only lost 2.2 pounds, not 5.2. There are some good reasons for that, so here they are in no particular order:
  1. I went on vacation for 10 days and ate horribly the entire time. There was cheesecake and BBQ, chips and sausage, ice cream and fast food plus a lot of frozen cokes and sodas!
  2. I hate cardio, so I have done none.
  3. I am too exhausted by the time I get off of work to do anything physically other than lift weights.
  4. I love chocolate........and fried foods...............and Hardee's shakes and burgers..........and sweets.........and red meat.........and grease. 
  5. I am lazy!!!!!!!!!!!
As you can see, they are honestly not that good of reasons. In fact, they are poor attempts at to justify staying how I am and that is not acceptable. I am going to not let myself fall into their traps again. Instead, I will tackle my excuses one at a time.
  1. First, when I go on vacation there are always healthy alternatives to eat. I am challenging myself to do that when I go on vacation in July.
  2. I may not like cardio, but I am going to like not being able to keep up with my kids as they get older and want to play even less. I have to do this, and there are no really good excuses.
  3. I do enjoy lifting weights. I also like riding my bike, which is fully functional and gathering dust in my garage. I need to start walking at least twice a week, to eventually turn into jogging. I also need to ride my bike, and if that does not work then I need to show my wife how much I love her and do some Zumba with her. She loves it and I can handle the embarrassment.
  4. I also love fruit, fish and chicken. I just need to eat them more. I am even beginning to enjoy vegetables.
  5. I was also a drug addict, alcoholic, smoker, etc and I no longer do those things. I just need to get more motivated.
Part of being more motivated means that I need some constant reminders. One reminder is that I don't ever want to be a hypocrite, yet I am being one. I am sharing with others the love, hope and grace of Christ I talk about how the Holy Spirit can transform us and cause us to sin no longer. Then I engage in sloth and overindulging in food. Those are sins as well. My body is a temple of God, and I need to treat it as such. Why is this so hard?!?!?!?!?!?

Then I remember that unlike drugs, alcohol and cigarettes which I only wanted I NEED food in order to survive. It is on the bottom of the pyramid in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs because food and liquid are vital to our survival. Unfortunately, it seems that the better most food tastes the worse it is for you and that stinks!

I just have to be smarter, which has never been one of my strong points. So, I  need to focus on my kids and the fun we can  have if I get into better shape. I need to remind myself that being in shape is spiritually, physically and emotionally important. I give a message of hope that a better life exists when I am in shape. I will remember all of this, and I will not relapse on bad food and laziness. This will not fail, but if I can not meet my next goal in time I see a Daniel Fast and a lot of meditation in my immediate future. I will meet my next goal, which is to be down to 235 by July 1st.

I am ready to do this, but I ask for your help. If you talk to me, ask me how I am doing at keeping focused. If you live in the Springfield area and ride bikes or play tennis, maybe we should get together. Give me a call. Thanks for your help, and here is to me losing 8 pounds this month!! I CAN DO IT!!

1 comment:

  1. I believe we can do anything we set our minds to as long as we have a desire, remain teachable, are wiling, stay honest and be open minded to suggestions much like the program we used for drugs and alcohol. I also struggle with a healthy lifestyle and eating right and i think it is more of an issue of time, education on proper eating habits and the money it costs to buy healthy foods. I hope you find what works for you and share your experience. Good luck & hope to see you soon! !

    ReplyDelete