Wednesday, November 28, 2012

From Shack to Temple Weight Loss Wednesday Thanksgiving left me Thankful

Thanksgiving is a traditional holiday about.....................EATING!! More so than any holiday, it is about getting together with family and eating. Christmas is about eating, but it is also about presents (It should be about Jesus but a lot of people have taken Jesus out of the equation unfortutunately). The 4th of July is about eating (mmmmmmmm, BBQ!!), but it is also about fireworks. Thanksgiving is about eating, and more eating while watching football then snacking on leftovers while talking and playing cards/board games with family. Eating, eating and more eating!! Not a good time for dieters.

I generally have gained about 5 pounds during the holiday, especially since I have began going to Arkansas to hang out with my wife's family there for multiple days. This year was no different in one of those respects. I went to Searcy with my family for Thanksgiving for several days. I ate, and I did not eat Paleo for a couple of days. It didn't kill me, because I controlled it.

What I did do was eat the things that I wanted to, just like I always do. But there were some major differences from the usual:
  1. I took a smaller piece than I normally would have. Think an 1/8 of the pie and not 1/4 of it!
  2. I chewed more and savored the food. I didn't just swallow and shovel, but chewed and enjoyed.
  3. I ate more salads and vegetables than I ever have before and skimped on the starchy foods.
  4. I talked in between bites, instead of just shoving massive spoonful after massive spoonful into my mouth.
  5. I did not snack on the unhealthiest things there. I would snack on white turkey meat instead of chips and dip.
  6. I drank mostly water and limited the tea and soda and when I drank tea it was unsweet.
  7. I took time and went outside and played football with my son instead of being sedentary the entire time.
These tips allowed me to accomplish what I did over the last two weeks. I didn't gain 5 pounds. In fact, I lost 2.6 pounds. That is not a lot, but it is better than any Thanksgiving in my past. How did you fare this Thanksgiving?

No comments:

Post a Comment